The journey from POP to Cabrera is not the easiest of roads to navigate as the Dominican Republic is a bit sparse on street signs. Per our previous post on travel planning, we highly recommend renting a GPS if you are driving yourself, but just in case, the following are directions to La Catalina and Casa Kimball at Orchid Bay Estates.
If you get lost along the way, please call our wedding planner Monica and she will help get you back on the right track.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS to LA CATALINA // ORCHID BAY
1. Heading out of POP Puerto Plata Airport turn left (East) onto Highway #5.
2. Continue East on Highway #5 for 62 miles. You will take Highway #5 all the way to Cabrera, passing the following towns (in this order) along the way: Sosua, Cabarete, Gaspar hernandez, Rio San Juan.
3. Upon entering Cabrera, you will drive another 3-5 miles before reaching La Catalina and Orchid Bay, passing the villages of Abreu and El Breton, and then Playa Grande Golf Course. Please note you may not have cell reception along this stretch of the drive.
4. As you leave El Brenton, the road will climb uphill as you approach La Catalina and Orchid Bay.
If you are heading to LA CATALINA:
5. You will reach a ‘T’ junction shortly after reaching the village of Catalina. Look out for ‘La Catalina’ sign posts. Take a right off the highway at the junction. The road off the junction will eventually turn from a paved road to a dirt road.
6. You will run see a ‘La Catalina’ sign a few minutes up ahead at a split in the road. Turn left at the split.
7. ‘La Catalina’ resort will be on your left hand side about 1/2 mile up the road.
If you are heading to Casa Kimball at ORCHID BAY:
5. Once you enter the village of Catalina continue down the road until you reach Isla gas station. The entrance to Orchid Bay estates will be on your lefthand side, approximately 200 meters after Isla gas station. If you come to a Texaco gas station, you have gone too far.
6. Orchid Bay has a guarded gate. Please let the guard know you are a guest at Villa No.
7. Once you enter Orchid Bay, drive straight down the tree-lined dirt road until you reach the dead end.
8. Take a left at the dead end, and continue down the road about a 1/4 mile. Villa No. 5 will be on your right hand side, just before you reach the end of the road.